Monday, September 3, 2007

Street Busking... Good For The Soul

I have discovered that Ljubljana is no different from other major cities in that on major street corners and walk ways, there are various street performers. Yesterday it was a quartet of pretty girls singing Amazing Grace that made me pause.

Today was my first day at work. It began just after 6 am, and ended just after 3 pm. I have to admit to feeling a little overwhelmed, but I am very sure that this will settle down in the next day or so as I slip into a routine. I had an offer of a ride home, but decided I needed to walk, to clear my head. I was mulling over the day, and making a check list of things I need to do to prepare for tomorrow when a sound intruded into my thoughts.
I paused and thought 'that sounds like a Didgeridoo!' and then I thought 'ok, Gwen, a bit too long on the microscope today, this is Slovenia, not Austrailia!
But my feet followed the noise, and when I rounded a corner, what did I see, but a chap doing a very good job of playing the Didgeridoo, and keeping time with one drumstick tapping on the sidewalk. This made me smile, and I stayed to listen for a bit. Eventually I meandered on, thoughts of work having been replaced by the deep melodious tones I had heard.
As I drew closer to the Square, I paused again, this time drawn by the sound of various aboriginal wind instruments being played, very well. Again I stopped to listen as a trio of traditionally dressed performers entertained us with hauntingly beautiful music.


My half hour walk managed to take an hour today. But somehow I came home much less tired than when I left. Music.... good food for the soul.
Today is my Dad's 76th Birthday. Happy Birthday to you, my dear Daddy!

No comments: