Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grobo Mleta Kava


"Coarsely Ground Coffee"
I think those of us West Coasters that drink coffee are quite particular about it. Having been to Europe a couple of times now, and not being a big espresso fan, I thought I would come prepared. I brought some of my favorite coffee from home, and knowing I would not find a drip coffee machine here, brought filters and a filter holder to make coffee with. And I brought my 'To-Go' cup. (And yes, the stainless "To-Go' cup gets me some strange looks!) Making coffee like this is not not my preferred way, but I thought it would keep me going until I managed to find something to make coffee in here. A friend suggested I might find a French Press, so within a couple of days of arriving, I set about to find one.
"A what?" was the usual reply when I asked around. Hmmmmmm! This is turning out to be harder than I thought. Thanks to the internet I was able to show a picture of a French Press, but still I got the same blank looks in response to my inquiries.
Finally, last weekend, after much poking around in the shops here I was able to locate one! "Woo Hoo" I exclaimed when I found one, and had to restrain myself from doing a little happy dance right there in the store!
Next obstacle was the coffee. You see I only brought a few days worth of coffee from home and by the time I had spent 10 days here, my supply had dwindled to the point where I had to start looking for more. Again a bit of a language problem, but I finally found what might do the trick....... but when I opened the package I was concerned with the fineness of the grind. Yup, it took one cup of coffee, and one large mouthful of grounds to tell me that yes, this grind is too fine for the French Press. All week I have been treated to mouthfuls of grinds as I get to the end of my morning coffee. Again I asked around, and again the same blank looks. I can get a very fine grind used for Turkish coffee, or a very fine grind for espresso, or the beans themselves.
I am delighted to report that although it took a trip to Celje, and the patience, and the translating skills of my friend Tanja, but finally, we found beans, AND the means to grind them! However, even Tanja experienced difficulties explaining my request in Slovene because at one point she turned to me and exclaimed "you would think I just asked the strangest question ever!"
We found a large store that sells the beans, and outside this store, in the middle of the mall corridor there is a grinding station set up where one can grind nuts on one side and coffee on the other. After much laughter as we figured out the machine, I finally came home with the right grind, and this morning had an excellent cup of coffee, with NO mouthful of grinds to chase it down!

No comments: