Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Trains... Trains.... and MORE Trains!

The rail system here is extremely efficient and a very reasonably priced way to get around the country. Certainly much less stressful on the nerves than driving! At least, on a good day….
I was supposed to be heading to Lesce-Bled on the 12:05 train on Saturday. There I would be joining friends Ana and Marko for the weekend at their cabin in the Pokljuka area. And this IS the destination I bought my ticket for. I asked the ticket seller what track the train would be leaving from. “Track 5" she said.
As I wandered down through the station, with ½ hour to spare, I thought, 'Ok, I think I’ve now got this train thing down!' When I got to the Track 5 there was already a train sitting there, waiting. I looked up at the sign and it read ‘10:28am Venice’. I looked at my watch and it read 11:37am. According to the Internet and the posted departure schedule my train was to leave at 12:05pm. ‘Hmmmmmmm’ I thought ‘Is this my train?’ I know it is common for the trains to start in Ljubljana, therefore waiting at the track before the scheduled departure time. 'I wonder what is with the sign, perhaps they haven’t changed it yet from an hour ago?’ To be careful, when I saw the conductor standing on the platform I showed him my ticket and my notebook where I had also written the train information I would need that day, and asked him if this was my train. “Yeah, Yeah” he said nodding, and gestured me towards the train. ‘Ok’ I thought, ‘this is my train!’
I boarded, sat down and expected to wait another 20 min or so, when suddenly the train began to move, and all the passengers clapped. I wondered why they were clapping, as I haven’t experienced this on the trains here before. Shortly after getting moving I thought 'UH OH!!! This isn’t right, we are moving in the opposite direction as to the one I was expecting to move in’
Yup!!! In case you haven’t figured out where this is going, I was on the wrong train!
People here DON’T clap for the trains, unless the train is finally leaving after over a 1-hour delay!
After some words and some sign language with the conductor who looked more thoroughly at my ticket and with my finger on the words “ LESCE-BLED” he said “Ne!!! Wrong Train!!” YA THINK? Fortunately the train did stop once before leaving Slovenia, so I had a 1 hr train ride, a 2 hour stop in Postojna, another 1 hour back to Ljubljana, a small delay and finally I was on the right train! That will certainly teach me to be so cocky!
My friends were very gracious about the 4-hour delay in their schedule, and immediately we set off to enjoy what was left of the daylight. We drove past beautiful Bled, through a long series of twists where every turn reflected recent and tremendous storm damage, to Lake Bohinj, (Bohinjsko Jezero) a majestic body of water settled amidst gorgeous mountain scenery and bound by a huddle of sleepy villages.

After a short walk, some pictures and a great cup of coffee it was back on the road for another long series of twists and turns
until finally we arrived at our destination, my friends cabin in Pokljuka.

No comments: